[Gambas-user] How to execute a standard routine every time a function in a component is called

gambas at ...1938... gambas at ...1938...
Wed Dec 10 15:31:55 CET 2008

Am Mittwoch, 10. Dezember 2008 15:04:08 schrieb Benoit Minisini:
> On mercredi 10 décembre 2008, gambas at ...1938... wrote:
> > Hi Gurus!
> >
> > Sorry for this noop-question:
> > In the module area of my component I read a settings file with some
> > connection parameters.
> > As long as I run the component as a normal Gambas-programm this works
> > perfectly. But when I turn it into a component and call one of it's
> > exported functions, the function is called directly, without executing
> > the code in the module area and my connection parameters are never read.
> > Surely there is a another way than putting the reading of the settings
> > file into every single function...but which way?
> >
> > TIA and grretz
> > Stevie
>
> A class can have an "_init" special static public method that is called the
> first time a class is used. You can use that.
>
> A component written in Gambas has no global initialization function.

Thanks for the hint, but I can't get it going. I put this into the module
area:

Static Public Sub _init()
' Read config file
  Dim hCFG As New Settings(User.Home &/ "etc/some.cfg")
End

When compiling I get:
Unxepected Static

Next question: How do I have to define hCFG? Dim, Private???
...I think, I need a good newby-book about Gambas and OO! ...but where to
get?? :-)

Thanks for help!

Greetz
Stevie