[Gambas-user] Embed xfce4 panel into gambas application

Joshua Higgins joshiggins at ...1601...
Tue Aug 19 23:38:20 CEST 2008

I'm not familiar with the way window managers and X work, but as Beniot said
the only way I know how to find out the WM_CLASS of a window is using xprop.

I have found out though whilst trying to get the Xfce Panel embedded is that
the WM_CLASS is no more unique than the name. The two Xfce panels have the
same name, the same class and the same role, so I can't really see how any
of these are more accurate, unless of course your window has no title.

As far as I can tell what you wrote should work, I'll have a go when I get
back to my Linux box :)

--- josh

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:19 PM, M0E Lnx <m0e.lnx at ...626...> wrote:

> Ok... so this may be a more accurate method than the window title is
> in some cases...
>
> How does one go about finding and embedding an application using the
> WM_CLASS property instead of the title?
>
> Can someone give me a sample line?
>
> Desktop.Find("","APPCLASS") ' Will this work???
>

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Joshua Higgins
> <joshiggins at ...1601...> wrote:
> > You'll never guess what the title was. Xfce Panel. :) Thanks again
> Benoit.
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Benoit Minisini <
> > gambas at ...1...> wrote:

> shown
> >> >

> >> A X11 window can be found from its name (the title), its class and its
> >> role,
> >> by using the Desktop.Find() method.
> >>
> >> Use the 'xprop' program to find all properties associated with a window,
> >> and
> >> look at the WM_NAME, WM_CLASS and WM_WINDOW_ROLE properties
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Benoit Minisini

> >> challenge
> >> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
> >> prizes
> >> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
> world
> >> http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
> >>

> > --
> > joshua higgins
> challenge
> > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
> prizes
> > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
> world

joshua higgins