[Gambas-user] Beginners problem : Gambas compiled package installation

Mike Brett serif at ...1870...
Mon Apr 14 08:21:19 CEST 2008

A little advice please.

<disclaimer>I am, relative to yourselves, a complete newbie to this
Linux lark, so please assume ignorance on my part in any reply.</disclaimer>

I want to load the latest (compiled, ready-to-go) gambas IDE package on
my Asus eeePC that I can, to develop a GUI application for MySQL. This
PC runs an Asus variant of Xandros which is, as far as I understand it,
itself a variant of Debian etch.

I have apt-get'd for 'gambas', and version 1.0.15 installed. The IDE
main menu screen opens up happily, but when I try to run some of the
samples I get "Some components are missing:" messages (for instance
gb.qt.kde).

Two questions spring to mind please:
1) I thought that the whole Linux dependency machinery was supposed to
look after this sort of thing and include what might be required in the
installation. Am I wrong here?
2) What *specific* action should I take to rectify this problem?

Thank you for your patience.

- Mike Brett -