[Gambas-user] non-blinding theme

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sat Apr 12 09:12:24 CEST 2008

On Saturday 12 April 2008 01:53, kevinfishburne wrote:
> Awesome, I'm glad you like it. That will be my first open-source
> contribution (though a small one). Keep up the good work on Gambas.
> It's truly a killer app; I rank it up there with OpenOffice and
> Apache. I'm strongly considering adding it as a default installed
> app on the PCs I sell.

I wish that Linux distributors WOULD include an easy-to-understand
language and IDE by default, just as DOS came with a version of BASIC
for the first 15 years of its life and every home computer from the
Amiga on back included it as well.

It's hard to believe nowadays, but when I was growing up almost
everyone who had a computer learned to program it.  Granted, everyone
who had a computer was kind of a nerd 25 years ago, but I still think
there would be more opportunities for learning if the Gambas IDE were
installed by default.

But most people who put together distros seem to think, "Eh, if
someone wants to make a program, they should have to learn how to
write code in vi or emacs, learn a command-line compiler or
interpreter, learn how to design forms using system calls by
specifying the geometry manually, and learn how to write a Gtk or Qt
event loop."  It's like they never walked up to a computer in a store
and wrote

10 PRINT "I was here!!!"
20 GOTO 10

probably because most of them are too young to remember that BASIC
ever had line numbers.

By the way, if you've been having trouble reading the fonts in the
Gambas editor, try switching from Courier to Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
or DejaVu Sans Mono, both of which should be in every Linux distro at
this point.  (If not, Lucida Console and Lucida Typewriter aren't bad
either.)  They seem much bolder and easier to read.

Rob