[Gambas-user] Look for Gambas tutorials

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Fri Mar 30 01:47:12 CEST 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 18:42, David Reese wrote:
> Sure, Gambas is a more advanced form of BASIC language, but it
> has peculiarities (read: it's Object-based) which make it much
> unlike any of the BASIC dialects which are pre - Visual Basic.

Since Visual Basic is the most common BASIC dialect in history by
at least an order of magnitude, I think it's kind of a moot
point.  But yes, people who have been using non-object-oriented
BASIC dialects before coming to Gambas will have a learning
curve, just as they would if they tried to use VB, Realbasic,
RapidQ or any other modern incarnation of it.  Or, for that
matter, Java or Javascript or Actionscript or Python or
any .NET-hosted language.

In fact, unless you're doing C, Perl or COBOL, chances are you're
going to have to gain a grasp on object oriented programming to
do anything in the computing environments that are en vogue
right now, and even those languages have all kinds of object
extensions bolted on to them (sure, Gtk may be C-based, but it's
certainly object oriented.)

Apart from a few legacy apps, procedural BASIC is really only
used for embedded applications anymore, and what we now
call "BASIC" is more like VB or Gambas than

10 PRINT "I am overflowing the stack now" : GOSUB 10

And I'm thinking that if you search for BASIC tutorials, you'll
find mostly stuff that starts with "Sub Main" or "Sub Form_Open"
than something that looks like the above.  So it wasn't out of
line for Sebastian to recommend general BASIC tutorials to
Johnny, though I personally would not have done so.

Rob