[Gambas-user] Quicky app

Scott Castaline hscast at ...407...
Mon Jun 25 05:42:20 CEST 2007

Erik Vega wrote:

> It's actually quite interesting with me. I'd love to hear more about this,
> then again I love anything that deals with software and programming. Love to
> hear more, even if it's irrelevant and a bit off-topic.

Okay, you asked for it. You may want to grab a beer before continuing.

We live in the Atlanta area of Georgia of the US of A. My wife is what
they call a Service Coordinator or in some cases a Case Manager in the
areas Early Intervention Program known as Babies Can't Wait in the
Health District we live in. Her function is as an advocate for
developmentally delayed infants. She assists the family in getting
needed services for the child, such as Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy,
Occupational Therapy, just to list a couple of things that I know of.
The state of Georgia has in the past 1 - 2 years has started to make
changes to the program affecting various groups in the program as well
as making cuts in funds.

Okay, (forgive me Lord for I will be sinning) here comes the part where
I rant. An idea of what is going on can be explained in a TV ad that the
Democratic challanger to the Governor used in his campaign. It showed an
empty adaptive wheelchair sitting in a dark room. The message was that
the Governor, had cut money to the disabled, so that he could give
himself and other rich business people major tax breaks. Which had some
truth to it, not all. What is happening is that these kids are being
divided up and placed into different funded groups. You have some that
don't meet criteria so are direct billed to the state, those are not a
problem. Then the very few that are Medicaid, also no problem. The
problem is with 3 groups that are called CMO's. Sonny says (the
Governor) that things are working great. The CMO's are making a profit,
the state is saving money. Well yeh, the CMO's are getting paid by the
state, but either don't pay the providers or take a very long time to
pay. There are some therapists that have just gotten paid recently for
services provided almost a year ago, and then they've held back or
denied payment on some services. My wife originally started back in 1998
sub- contracting to the program through another company that handled the
billing and other administrative functions. They had to go out of
business leaving about 35 to 50 people to have to fend for themselves.
My wife of course is one of them, and is now contracted directly to the
county's program BCW. I'm handling the billing and application process
for her. Now the clincher, the state has just published guidelines to
individual counties as to how they can restructure themselves. It looks
like my wife's position could disappear. A speech therapist or a
Physical Therapist, or whatever would now be expected to do Service
Coordination as well as what they are supposed to be doing. Problem is
that a lot of the Therapist's have stopped being providers because they
couldn't afford to wait so long to be paid and then get paid for only
half of what they were supposed to get. That is why I just want to throw
something quick together, but something that I could then either go in
and put in the needed time and work to fix up or replace. Ok end of rant.

Basically I figured that based on the data my wife works with and that
some of that data is reused in the billing side, I felt this called for
using a DBMS of some sort. I am familiar with MySQL version 4.x and have
started playing around with 5.0.1. I came up with 3 tables. The first
table is similar to an address book, with client name, address,
caregiver (usually parent or some guardian), a phone number(I'm thinking
of 2 fields for a primary number and an alternate number might also use
check boxes for home, cell, work, fax, not sure if I need that part),
type of billing whether Medicaid, State Funded, Peach State Health Plan(
1 of the 3 CMO's), and Amerigroup (2nd of the 3 CMO's). The 3rd CMO
refuses to pay for service coordination or provide it themselves, so
that one doesn't matter. The last field would be in most cases a
Medicaid number or an assigned number by the CMO. I was planning on
using an autogenerated numbering system for indexing.

One child table could be compared to an item table in an inventory
control DB. The record would contain a medical code number referred as
the ICD9 which is related to the diagnosis (ie: Cerebral Palsy). I would
then have a 3rd field that contain the value from autogenerated field in
the parent table for a particular client. The relation would be multiple
records in the child table to one record in the parent table, through
the clientID (autogenerated field in Parent Table, and 3rd field in
child). I think the key for this child table could be the ICD9.

The other Child Table would be a more involved version as the first
child. My wife has to have at least one face to face visit(contact) with
the client and caregiver and at least 3 indirects(phone calls, or other
means) that can be with client/caregiver or a therapist. This table
would track by date, type of contact, if face to face one of two
possible locations and notes about the contact. The notes are not fixed
in length but are definitely not books not even chapters.

Data entry, would be centered around the parent, which only needs to be
inputted once unless there are changes such as phone number change or
moved to another address. The first child would be entered most likely
at the same time as the client into the parent table, but a means to be
able to put more that one record per client. The second child table
would not necessarily be used at the time of initial entry of client
into the Parent Table and the first Child Table. I would need to be able
to pull up a record of an existing client and enter info pertaining to
the 2nd child. So a query of the parent to find a particular client and
then the option to add data to the 2nd child that is related to the
query d client. The clientID field would again come into play for this
child. The field can be manually filled in by user as I realize that
this would involve logic that I'm not sure of to automate. It's
something that I could do later.

Reporting would be done once a month where one would need some fields
from the Parent and the second child. A separate report for each client
sorted by client and then the child info (contacts need to be sorted by
date and show dat of contact, type of contact, (see description above),
location of contact (if face to face), and the notes. Right now she uses
a spreadsheet template that puts the client info and her name/title and
date (month/year) as a header. The rest of the page is divided into 4
horizontal sections that repeat themselves broken up into the date,
type, location, and notes. In some cases the notes for a particular
contact will flow into multiple sections (1 to 3 sections in rows).

Another report would be one of the billings directly to BCW. I am
currently using a spreadsheet template that has last name, first name,
Medicaid #, or State Funds, or State Funds/CMO Name, or even the comment
of evalution/Not eligible, the date of face to face and dates of the
first 3 indirects, and a final field of bill amount for client. This
also contains a header of the form name, wife's name/title, month/year
and a vendor #. I have room for 18 rows for clients and leaving 4 rows
open for stamping by county accounting along with page total. Each apge
looks the same with the final page containing the subtotal of each page
and the final total. I'm not sure of how to determine the bill amount.
The clients that are straight State Funds are billed one amount the Not
Eligible another amount, dependent upon time involved (hourly rate), and
CMOs and Medicaid are $0.00 amount since we bill direct but have to
report it on this bill. The other bills are handled separately and at
this time I'm not planning to include this in the billing part yet. I
have forms that have to be hand written and mailed in, but I need to be
able to pull up the info for reference from all 3 tables. This I think
could be handled on a multilevel query, by client list all diag codes,
and contacts for month.

I guess that's about it for now, there is another report that my wife
does that is similar to my state billing. I apologize for my extensive
use of bandwidth, and hope that I didn't destroy too many peoples day or
now night(late night for me). I can also attach the forms in OOo format
on a future email if interested. I need time to convert some of them
from M$Office to OOo. The billing I have in OOo already.

Any suggestions or help, I would be forever indebted and if you come
through Lawrenceville, GA., there's a place that serves real cold
Guiness Stout Draft nearby.

TIA