[Gambas-user] Marketing

R. Stormo rohnny at ...1248...
Sat Dec 1 12:11:47 CET 2007

Charlie Reinl wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 30.11.2007, 23:46 -0800 schrieb R. Stormo:
>>

>> Werner-9 wrote:
>> >

>> > How about something like
>> >
>> >         The easiest way to write a program for Linux.
>> >
>> > or
>> >         Programming in the Fast Lane
>> >
>> > I started using Gambas as I needed to write a fairly simple GUI program
>> > really quick but I had not written software in over a decade and my
>> > knowledge of Linux was almost nil. It would be interesting to know why
>> > other people started using it.
>> >

>> I think we should have the "basic" work in there someplace. There are
>> alot
>> of windoze users that are looking for a programming language like vb and
>> this is.
>> Those phrase you have here does not say anything of what language this
>> is.
>> Could be another python og c language and those new users will not be
>> interested. It should be something to describe what it is.
>>
>> I'm agree that "almost means basic" is not the right one . But if this
>> what
>> Benoit like/want so it should be.
>> "Gambas, a basic language."
>
> "Gambas almost means basic" this is a classical Open Source Project
> name, where the name is an acronym for .
>
> While  basic = Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC
>

> --
> Amicalment
> Charlie

Thats ok, but does a normal windows person that have just converted to Linux
now this?
He/she is looking for a similar program under Linux that where used in
windows. Normally I think that would
be at google and something like this.
vb for linux, visual basic for linux , basic linux or similar.

Yes almost basic will come up. Not all people are very good in english and a
translation (in head) would be something like this.
"Gambas nearly basic". Maybe this can scare someone from trying and see that
it's actually very similar and they can do very mutch what they did in
windoze also.

Maybe it's just me, but I looked at several "basic" language before I came
over gambas. This was something I felt good with. But this was one of the
reason I not have converted before. Some programs that I needed in daily
basis to make things "as they where"

Now over 5 years later I will never touch windows again If I can :-)

What we do not need to forget is that most of us (I think) comes from
windows and how hard was'nt it to convert.

Regards Rohnny

My Gambas Community http://gambasforum.tk