[Gambas-user] Re; Website ...

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Aug 21 23:58:24 CEST 2007

On mardi 21 août 2007, ron wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2007 18:44, Gareth Bult wrote:
> > >Is it possible to have the same look as in http://gambas.sf.net?
> >
> > Urm, define "the same look" ? What I was looking for was something that
> > would look "professional" on the context of current sites .. at the
> > moment although Gambas is good, the site doesn't make it "look" good ...
>
> I think I do understand Benoits point.
> The 'Professional good' as you say is not bad but there is also a
> 'Functional good' way. That is the menu at the current gambas website, and
> are mostly in conflict with each other.
>
> The first look nice and the second mostly not but the information is in
> short with more overview to find you required stuff quickly.
> That is how I (not a professional) prefer a site most times.
> I hate to step trough 4 menu click to find the main page for the required
> (importand) stuff.
>
> Just for fun take a look at my providers website http://www.tiscali.nl and
> you will see. They behave like professionals but....
> Be carefull with clicking because items on unexpected places inside the
> 'good' stuff are advertisements despite they have a small corner marked as
> advertisements.
>
> > Gareth.
> > --
>
> For the current test site.
> It looks not bad and it is nice you set it up in so short time.
> One site for the maillist, forum, examplecode and etc sounds good to me.
>

> Ron

I think we should be very careful with this notion of being "professional".
Begin professional and looking professional are really not the same thing,
and I don't think it is important if Gambas and his web site do not
*look* "professional". This is a marketing thing :-)

When I asked if it is possible to have the same look, I didn't actually wanted
the same look, but I wanted to know:

* What is possible with plone in look customization.

* If you could remove some lines, boxes, and the frame around everything that
clutter the interface. Just compare a Gnome dialog-box with a KDE one, you
will see what I want.

Anyway, Plone seems to be powerful. I just want to simplify the look.

Another point: you put a link to Firefox with the text "Best viewed with
FireFox". Ironically, on my Mandriva, the web site is far best viewed with
Konqueror :-) With FireFox (2.0), some lines cut the text, and the page is
displayed with a bitmap font (even if all fonts defined in the preferences
are true type fonts). I think you should remove it!

As for the Gambas documentation, I think that it should stay outside of the
plone site, on Rob Kudla's machine, because I have too many tools made around
it: the documentation is generated by a Gambas Wiki, and the static version
of the documentation is directly integrated in the source code from it.

Is it possible to embed the documentation as I did with the current web site?
Well, it was easy as I used frames. But one told me that frames are bad,
so...

And as said Fabien, the better thing that your Plone web site could bring is a
forge that could replace Fabien's web site http://gambasforge.net.

Benoit Minisini