[Gambas-user] Gambas-user The new IDE packager - Help needed

Stefano Palmeri rospolosco at ...626...
Wed Apr 11 17:29:08 CEST 2007

Alle 12:42, marted=EC 10 aprile 2007, Benoit Minisini ha scritto:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In the current SVN trunk, you will find a new IDE packager that allows you
> to make RPM packages from a gambas project.
>
> At the moment, this packager only supports Mandriva and Fedora
> distributions.
>
> ---- Why?
>
> Because at the moment I have a clear documentation for these two
> distributions only. In the future, I want to support OpenSuse, Debian, and
> Slackware.
>
> ---- How does it work?
>
> These RPM packages:
> 1) Install the project executable in /usr/bin.
> 2) Install an icon in the distribution icon directory. (this is not a
> standard).
> 3) Install the XDG *.desktop menu file, so that you see the application in
> your menu.
> 4) Depends on distribution specific gambas binary packages.
>
> ---- What are the problems?
>
> 1) is not a problem.
>
> 2) depends on the distribution. Fedora needs one icon in
> /usr/share/pixmaps. Mandriva has three icon directories. And I don't know
> for the other distributions.
>
> ** I need information about that for the other distributions **
>
> 3) works only if the distribution supports the free-desktop XDG menu
> system. This is the case for Mandriva and Fedora, even if these two
> distributions don't have the same menu organization.
>
> ** I need information about that for the other distributions. Do they
> support XDG menu system, or another one? **
>
> 4) relies on the distribution packagers. At the moment, if you want to
> install a package made by the IDE, you have to force it.
>
> There are other problems:
>
> 5) Debian and Slackware are not RPM-based. The Gambas 1.0.x IDE relied
> on 'alien' to make a debian package from a RPM, but I am not sure that it
> is the good solution.
>
> 6) There are many Debian-based distributions, and Debian packages do not
> necessarilly work on these distributions! (Somebody said 'Ubuntu' ?)
>
> ** I need information about how to make packages on these distributions **
>
> ---- How can you help?
>
> By making gambas binary packages for your distribution, if you can of
> course! The gambas binary packages specifications are at:
>
> http://gambasdoc.org/help/howto/package
>
> By testing the packager on your distribution. The packagers relies on the
> rpmbuild tool at the moment. Which tool is needed on your distribution? H=
ow
> does that tool work? This is especially important on non-RPM distribution
> like Debian or Slackware.
>
> By giving me information about your distribution if it is different from
> the standard ones.
>
> Please help me making a really working packager for Gambas 2.0. This is t=
he
> last big step before making a release candidate! With a few other little
> [...]

Hello, Benoit.

I'm a Slackware 11.0 user.

> ** I need information about that for the other distributions. Do they
> support XDG menu system, or another one? **

Well, I'm running a KDE desktop and when I install an application from source,
generally I see it in the menu. As examples I've attached the *.desktop
of two apps. One is /usr/share/applications and the other one
in /usr/local/share/applications. I can see both in my KDE menus.

In Slackware exist /usr/share/pixmaps and /usr/local/share/pixmaps, but
I think it'is important to give the full path to the Icon= value in *.desktop
files.

To create a standard Slackware you have to create the system tree in
a temp directory, then tar the contents and gzip the result.

Now we want to create a Slackpackage.

1) mkdir tempdir
2) cd tempdir
3) mkdir -p usr/bin
4) mkdir -p usr/share/applications
5) mkdir usr/share/pixmaps

then copy the needed files in their directories.

6) chown -R root:root *
7) tar czf slackpackage.tgz . (use the dot!, not the "*")

OK. We have a standard slackware package ready to install.

***ATTENTION***

1) Very standard slack packages have a description file, but
it is not mandatory.
To create it, in the tempdir above we have to create a directory
called "install". In this directory you have to put a text file called
slack-desc, that has mandatory rules. I've attached the original
slack-desc for the lilo package.

2) in the install directory is possible to put a script
called doint.sh, that is executed after installation. It is
not mandatory. So, the "install" directory is not mandatory.

Feel free to send me Slackware packages to test. :-)

Regards,

Stefano Palmeri