[Gambas-user] A suggestion for simplifying the distribution of Gambas apps

Bob Warren warren at ...1582...
Thu Sep 14 21:28:49 CEST 2006

Thanks very much indeed to Benoit and Rob for the great explanations. I
don't particularly want to get involved in the technical fors and
againsts of this issue, since I am not really qualified to do so.
However, I have been using Runtime Revolution for some time, and their
standalone executables work 100% on all distros I have tried, no matter
whether it is Debian, Red Hat, or even Puppy Linux. For the programmer
creating and distributing his apps, this is a dream come true. They
don't seem to have had a lot of trouble setting it up, but of course I
don't know what they think of the security considerations such as Benoit
put forward.

Whatever system is adopted, it is obviously important that it should
actually work! Gambas itself is a masterpiece of simplicity and
elegance, so it would be a pity if the method of distributing apps
failed to correspond. Since the setup and running of apps represents the
"shop window" of not only the apps themselves but also Gambas, I suggest
that perhaps this question should be given greater priority than hitherto.

Regards,
Bob Warren