[Gambas-user] Changes in LINK

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Oct 28 21:34:54 CEST 2006

On Saturday 28 October 2006 21:20, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Rob wrote:
>
> Agreed.  Incompatibility that causes sometimes unnoticeable but possibly
> catastrophic changes in logic due to changed semantics without any
> warnings is VERY BAD.
>
> It would be way better to make a syntactical change so older code doesn't
> get mistakenly run with logic bugs possibly resulting in potentially
> dangerous and catastrphic file trashing (just think of the mayhem while
> running an admin tool with root privs in system areas and links in older
> code going backwards!!!!).  If upgrading the interpretor only breaks the
> code semantically (without errors or warnings at compile time or run time)
> there could be lots of trouble.

I agree, but I don't want to add another keyword nor make a syntactical change
just for that.

Inverting the argument of LINK is not dramatic, as if you make a mistake,
instead of creating a link, it will only raise an error, as the link source
taken as destination already exists.

When I will do it, I will put a big warning to warn people to check their
code.

After all, this is a development version. Of course I would never do that with
a stable one.

Benoit Minisini