[Gambas-user] Changes in LINK

Christopher Brian Jack brian at ...1334...
Sat Oct 28 21:20:59 CEST 2006

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Rob wrote:

Agreed.  Incompatibility that causes sometimes unnoticeable but possibly
catastrophic changes in logic due to changed semantics without any
warnings is VERY BAD.

It would be way better to make a syntactical change so older code doesn't
get mistakenly run with logic bugs possibly resulting in potentially
dangerous and catastrphic file trashing (just think of the mayhem while
running an admin tool with root privs in system areas and links in older
code going backwards!!!!).  If upgrading the interpretor only breaks the
code semantically (without errors or warnings at compile time or run time)
there could be lots of trouble.

> Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:58:55 -0400
> From: Rob <sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...>
> To: gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] Changes in LINK
>
> On Saturday 28 October 2006 12:38, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > I think I will invert the arguments, which will lead to source
> > incompatibility between versions <= 1.9.45 and versions >=
> > 1.9.46.
> > What do you think about that?
>
> I think this is a good idea.  It's a shame you couldn't change
> the TO keyword to something else so that rather than
> accidentally creating backward links, old code just wouldn't
> compile.

More than a shame.  An accident waiting to happen.

|  Christopher BRIAN Jack aka "Gau of the Veldt"  |
| oevna at ...1544...
Hi Spambots, my email address is sputnik at ...1334...
Hi Humans, my email address uses rot13 cipher