[Gambas-user] Gambas 1.9.44+ IDE and CVS

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Oct 28 10:46:45 CEST 2006

On Saturday 28 October 2006 00:53, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
>
> Currently the IDE does some CVS directory bashing under .gambas when
> compiling projects to run the code.  At the minimum it would be nice to
> have the IDE detect these diredctories and not to delete them.
>
> > Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:50:55 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Christopher Brian Jack <brian at ...1334...>
> > To: Gambas-Users List <gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net>
> > Subject: Gambas 1.9.44+ IDE and CVS
> >

> > Has anyone considered a component or otherwise to make projects
> > CVS-aware, CVS-friendly and perhaps even do the appropriate operations
> > (such as commits when modifying project files (or creating new files like
> > forms, classes, modules, images, etc, or doing an update operation when
> > the project is loaded and optionally at any time from the ide from a
> > toolbar button and/or menu option).
> >
> > Basically the IDE would like for the CVS/CVSROOT dirs when opening a
> > project and (a) hide these directories in the project fileview on the
> > left pane and (b) enable options for cvs management and automatically
> > handling some of the repository-helpful-but-often-overlooked functions
> > like lock/edit/unlock (helps avoid conflicts) (c) provide a RCSEditorView
> > which would be a special application of GambasEditor with awareness of
> > the RCS tags when a conflict does arise.
> >
> > For jointly developed Gambas applications this would be a definite plus.
> > I suppose subversion support should be added as well but I have no idea
> > about how svn works, only cvs.
> >
> > I also don't know anything about how to properly make components to
> > extend the IDE (nor if such a mechanism even exists).

I'd like to do exactly the same thing for svn, as now I know svn but not CVS.

I think we could do that together. But I don't want to go too far, as I'd like
to freeze the 2.0 version as soon as possible. So I suggest continue doing
the "update/commit/conflict solving" by hand at the moment.

Here is the tasks we could do:

1) Automatically detect that a project is managed by CVS or SVN. Not
difficult, as we just have to check there is a CVS or .svn directory in the
project directory.

2) Not destroying these directories in any situation.

3) We must define each CVS or SVN command that must be run when:
* A new file is added to the project.
* A new directory is added to the project.
* A file is removed.
* A directory is removed.
* A file is renamed.
* A directory is renamed.

4) Which files must be controlled, and which not. I think the rule can be that
once a project is cleaned up, all resting files should be controlled. So I
could make a "import to CVS/SVN" command that clean up the project and run
the import command.

So please tell me, and send me all information on the developer mailing-list!

Benoit Minisini