[Gambas-user] new name for proposed "gb.ajax"

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Fri Oct 27 09:49:59 CEST 2006

I think it's going to end up being "gb.dojo".  Dojo is still new
(version 0.4 just came out), and the documentation is about at
the point where Gambas was at its own 0.4 release (not much of
it), but its API almost seems like a minimal Gtk sort of thing:

http://dojotoolkit.org/api/?#dojo.widget

And they're addressing some of the concerns people had with
adapting Gambas apps to the web, like having to send huge lists
of data down to the browser for data-bound combo boxes:

http://manual.dojotoolkit.org/WikiHome/DojoDotBook/Book44/Book79

You can do all the buzzword-compliant stuff like JSON and XMLHttp
and XMLRPC, or you can even use Iframes to send data back and
forth for old, busted browsers.  (Been there, done that.... you
don't want to do that unless you really have to.)

I get the sense that it's not what you would call lightweight,
but I've never seen any Javascript framework that was this
complete or desktop-like before.  I look forward to trying it
out as soon as I free up some time.

Of course, you could use dojo by itself in your Gambas CGI
applications already, if you wanted to ;)

Rob