[Gambas-user] Inconsistent handling of control names

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Oct 25 17:58:37 CEST 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 23:21, Rob wrote:
> Apart from the handling of underscores in control names (the
> compiler allows it, so does VB, but if you try to edit a control
> in a form imported from VB with an underscore, it'll force you
> to change the name) I discovered a new problem with the IDE as
> of 1.9.42.
>
> I converted some Access forms to VB forms a while back, and then
> converted those VB forms to Gambas.  I just brought one of those
> forms up in the IDE and tried to edit it.  I noticed a few
> things:
>
> 1. The IDE accepts, and will display, controls with a type
> of "Textbox" (as opposed to TextBox.)
>
> 2. While you can move, resize and do other things to such
> controls, the name of the control will always be displayed in
> them, even if you change the Text property.
>
> 3. At run time, the control will display the Text property you
> have set, not the control name.
>
> So I'm guessing somewhere in the IDE you're doing a
> case-insensitive check of the control type, and in other places
> you're doing a case-sensitive check.  I'd actually rather have
> it error out if it finds a type it doesn't recognize.

I found only one case sensitive test on control type, so I replaced it by an
non-sensitive test.

> And I'd like to be able to have underscores in my control names,
> since the compiler allows them anyway, they're valid in all the
> other Gambas identifiers, and they're so common in VB apps ;)

I activate it in the svn, but maybe it will break some things in
autocompletion. You will tell me! :-)

Regards;

--
Benoit Minisini