[Gambas-user] Why 1.9.x doesn't show up

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue May 23 19:28:02 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 10:37, Eilert wrote:
> Morning, Benoit,
>
> is there a log file by the gbx2 binaries where I might find a hint to
> what causes Gambas2 to not show up on my system?
>
> Or can I start it with an option that gives error messages?
>
> You'll remember: since you introduced MDI, Gambas will run like "hidden"
> on my system, i. e. it's running but you cannot see any windows (the
> only thing you get to see is the greeting window).
>
> By the way, the dancing symbol KDE produces doesn't stop, so KDE never
> knows that Gambas2 has started. But the binary is in the list of
> processes, and if you just log out and log in again, Gambas will pop up
> and greet again.
>
> But there should be a way to find out where it hangs... :-) Maybe some
> too old library or something missing on my system?
>
> Regards
>
> Rolf

1) Check that you compile it without optimization and with debugging
information (this is the default normally).

2) Launch the IDE.

3) Get its process id with 'ps'.

4) Run gdb by telling it to attach to this process id, like that:
$ gdb /usr/bin/gbx2 <pid>

5) Stop it with CTRL+C in gdb.

6) Type bt, get the backtrace, and send it to me.

Another useful information is launching the IDE with strace until it freezes,
and sending the output. This way:
$ cd <path/to/IDE/source>
$ strace gbx2 2> strace.out

Benoit Minisini