[Gambas-user] imix - IMage grinder for unIX

Laxminarayan G Kamath A laxminarayan at ...1434...
Fri May 5 07:29:06 CEST 2006

Hi Gambas Users!
    Me a kinda noob to Gambas, and I must say, I really like it more
than VB. This thing has only essential stuff. of course, it still has to
go further to reach complete maturity, but I like the current one
(Gambas2) so much that I am thinking of basing my first major project on
it!

    [ The description might look daunting, butit is quite simple and
interesting.]

    The problem statement is like this: There are thousands of command
line utilities(on *nix platforms) that play around with images. Examples
include imagemagick's command line utilites,  netpbm, thumbnail
generators, album creators, slideshow generators,  similar images
finders, OCRs, pdf - png generators,Image information extractors, jpeg
header modifiers,  and another zillion utilities.
    Not all people may be experts enough to use all these utilities from
the command line. But at the same time, it is the fact that writing
command line utilites is simple enough for programmers to dedicate most
of the time for the core logic of the software. Also, even among the
experts, they may not be knowing all of the tools, thus missing a lot of
fun!

What this project has to do.
    This project aims to bridge all the three gaps - between noobies,
experts and
the developers.

Solution overview:
    My Idea is to create a project that will maintain a framework
specification, a GAMBAS library that implements the framework, and a
user interface. The framework and the library together will allow
experts to write specification for each tool in such a way, that the
framework implementation can understand the relation between different
utilities, the input, and the output. The UI will use these
specifications and the framework to present them to the end user in a
very user friendly way.
    The UI should be able to manage "albums", create a flow of contol of
utilities and apply them on individual images or albums.

Please comment on this idea. Sounds interesting? Then please join me.
Anybody is welcome.

--
Laxminarayan G Kamath A
laxminarayan at ...1434...