[Gambas-user] Passing programs

ron ronstk at ...239...
Thu Mar 30 06:36:14 CEST 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 05:18, Rob Kudla wrote:
> On Wed March 29 2006 16:29, ron wrote:
> > The klik://gambas2 dit exist and was made by Kurt Pfeife.
> >
> > He dropped a mail to a list of developers Benoit, you, Nigel,
> > Daniel and many others including me. (date 2005-11-01)
> > The version he used for recipe was gambas2-1.9.20-0.gvb
> > Suse9.3
> >
> > I did respond to Kurt about it. You was also with comments
> > here. Also I have used it, I had no developer packages
>
> I misunderstood, then.... I thought he was posting to us because
> he had a problem with his klik package and wanted someone
> involved with Gambas to take it over.  This is good news.

Not with the klik package, he is one of the project members
of it.
His problem was he does not know how to work with Gambas to be
able to check it was correct for a working system.
He wanted a *profesional* checks his work was done OK.
And yes, may be a person to take over was also welkom.
He made a start receipt to go on with it. The big start was done.

> > This could be for distribution of end-user programs as source
> > or in compiled form.
>
> Yeah, the next step would be to figure out a way to make a klik
> package of a Gambas program without including the IDE and
> everything else.
>
> Rob

In fact a end user should only need the runtime gbx and
supporting gb.lib.xxxx of the components used.
Together with the gb precompiled source or the gb?'s he
need to compile the apps source to pseudo binary.
No need for IDE.

I see here the version conflicts of gb.qt against the installed
one by enduser.
I have 3.3 , xxx has 3.4 and zzz has 4.0 all on suse9.2
other use the same 3 qt versions but on gentoo.
So it wil not easy.

For klik I understood:
A programmer makes the program with the IDE.
Then he makes a receipt containing his application.
Adds the needed component libraries names to the receipt.
This receipt goes to the website including package of
his product.

The client get the receipt he wish.
The clients installer get the package with the application
and the needed, the gb and external, libraries all named in
receipt from the klik distribution website.
This all put together in a .cmg file by the installer.

Kurt did it with suse9.3, compiling gambas.
the receipt/package sendout was suse for gb, the libries en
external libs all together build as one .cmg file.
That should run on suse, mandrake and others as a whole mounted
suse system. And yes you do have in example two times the curl
libs ( or mysql client)

The programmer can also make the cmg file himself.
Then i get your mandrake curl and gambas on my suse system extra
at seperate place. Need only big Harddisk extra :)

With this file mounted as disk by the same installer
in the /temp directory the client can run the application.

As far I understood the binairies for i.e. curl are from debian
the gb.lib.xxxx binaries he made are in the websites pool to.

The application could be posible in source and can be compiled
with gbx from the runtime package or the programmer must do
it on the same (stable)(debian) version in the pool.

It is a bit simple told but for simple applications it could work.
Simple apps are those that do not need many external libraries where
version conflicts can happen.

He did it with SuSE9.3 for test and that worked for me with 9.2
May be the binaries for gambas must be premade for other distro's
That way no need to put the whole mysql in the cmg file but the local
can be used.
But the most bad thing is for mysql 3, 4 and 5 on suse, debian, gentoo etc.
that are already 9 gb.lib.mysql modules.

So it depends havely on what the programmer made/used.

Thats the reason Benoit likes more the enduser install gambas
fully and do it himself, and only one source tarbal. :)
I understand why.

Ron