[Gambas-user] gambas is not running on 64bit machine

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Mar 10 20:20:42 CET 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 19:40, Rob Kudla wrote:
> On Fri March 10 2006 02:20, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
> > Several parts of the Gambas internal code depend on the
> > assumption that a pointer to memory will only be 32 bits.
>
> It's not only pointers.... in the case of the code that loads the
> class files (if I understand it...) it's assuming all datatypes
> are going to be 32 bits.  To fix the problem, the compiler will
> have to be changed to write architecture-independent datatypes
> (int32_t, etc...) and the interpreter will have to be changed to
> read them.
>
> I don't think that'll be easy, but I hope we see
> that happen before 2.0.  I know Benoit is thinking about it
> because he already fixed the endian problem.
>
> Rob

Actually I didn't think about that at all.

Having compiled projects that can run on a 32-bits Gambas interpreter and on a
64-bits one will need an almost total rewrite of the interpreter!

If only gcc had something like "short pointer", i.e. support for 32-bits
pointer on a 64-bits architecture, it would be a temporary solution.

So Gambas 2.0 will be 32 bits only I think, unless a miracle happens.

Benoit Minisini