[Gambas-user] gambas is not running on 64bit machine

Christopher Brian Jack brian at ...1334...
Fri Mar 10 08:20:00 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 kvaibhav at ...1398... wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a Intel EM64T machine with 64 bit linux operating system.
> I compiled gambas and there is no problem but when I try to run the gambas.
> i got the following errror.
>
> sizeof(CLASS) = 256 !
> ERROR: #51: Bad archive: Invalid argument
>
> If someone of you have found the solution to this problem please give the
> solution to me also. Because I didn't find one on the internet.

Several parts of the Gambas internal code depend on the assumption that a
pointer to memory will only be 32 bits.  Because the class is internally
handled by structures containing pointers the change in pointer size is
changing the size (in bytes) of the structures as a whole, causing the
sizes expected by the gambas executive to be inconsistent with expected
sizes.  This can happen despite a clean compiler output!

Put in English, the Gambas core code currently does not cope with 64-bit
systems.  I think the problem is being looked into but that not enough
people involved with development of Gambas own 64-bit systems to adapt the
code so it will work in a 64-bit environment.

Solution: If your system has a 32-bit application backward compatibility
layer then compile and run gambas within it.

|  Christopher BRIAN Jack aka "Gau of the Veldt"  |