[Gambas-user] How do I turn it off!!!

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Jul 28 00:51:57 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 23:46, sbungay wrote:
>    Discovered that one already.
>    If it absolutely HAS to be done this way (not adviseable) then lets
> at least try to improve on it.
>    The search list icon looks like it was pulled from an old copy of
> Mandrake,

No, it comes from the KDE Crystal icon theme.

> the search next and search all icons make little sense (form
> follows function.. right?)...

KDE uses them, at least for "search next".

> this is not a VCR or DVD player so lets
> loose that paradigm.

Anyway, I agree, but I didn't had the time to make new icons for that. It is
difficult, as no icon exist for these actions in the Crystal theme, and it's
very hard to make new icons when you don't have the corresponding SVG files.

> I suggest instead that you keep the
> magnifying-glass as a theme for searching (which you already have with
> little paw prints around it) so there is some consistency in the interface.
>
> Magnyfying glass superimposed over
>     - a list (like a listbox) = Search List.
>     - over a File Icon = Search File.
>     - Over a Gant Chart = Search Project

I will see...

>    Now, make a few different sizes of these. At 1600 by 1200 the icons
> are incredibly small on my laptop screen. At 1280 by 1024 they are
> readable on my 17 inch LCD... but just barely.

LOL! I thought you were angry about the new Find panel because you were
working on a small resolution.

> I like to work in the
> highest resolution possible so I have as much screen realestate as I can
>   (yes it can be hard on the eyes (especially if using an old out of
> focus CRT LOL :)).

The problem of icon sizes is more complex than just making icons bigger. This
problem has been solved by KDE and GTK, and so I must design a common Gambas
interface for them. This problem is related to the "stock" icons we were
talking on another thread on the developer mailing-list.

I think the solution is having special relative paths that actually points at
predefined icons, and that some of these relative paths return toolbar icons
whose size is define by the user.

>    The blue Arrows for swapping information between boxes? what were
> your thoughts behind that?

I thought "replace".

> I agree it might come in handy, but only if
> you entered the data in the wrong place (which I have had happen perhaps
> all of one-time when using a more conventional S&R dialogue in another
> visually based BASIC that we all know and love.
>    Also suggest that if ctrl+f pops up the gui tool then it could also
> remove it when it is visible.

This is possible. But if you hit CTRL+F, this is because you want to search
something, don't you?

> Esc works too, but this is not something
> that is modal, so you're not exactly escaping from anything, and in the
> greater context of the IDE pressing Esc to arbitrarily remove the search
>   toolbar doesn't make much intuitive sense.

I want ESC to be the magic key that cleans the screen :-)

> Steve :)
>
> Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 July 2006 05:40, sbungay wrote:
> >>   Now that this gawdawful search & replace tool bar thing is at the top
> >>of my editor window I can't seem to get rid of it. It's sucking up
> >>valuable screen space and is cluttering up the IDE.
> >
> > Press the ESCAPE key.

Benoit Minisini