[Gambas-user] Gambas RoadMap

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Jul 5 17:31:16 CEST 2006

On Wed July 5 2006 10:20, Vincenzo Ing. Virgilio wrote:
> Why, you should ask, becouse your actual computer has not an
> AMD64 or EM64T processor inside?
> Becouse your next computer will do.

I agree.... the cheapest computer I could buy from Wal-Mart when
my server died last winter was 64-bit, and when we were shopping
for a new laptop (which needs to run Gambas as well as some
video programs that aren't 64-bit ready either) it was hard to
find a laptop that fit our specs and was 32-bit.  (Yes, you can
install 32-bit operating systems on AMD64, but as I understand
it there's a noticeable performance hit.)

But after digging through the source code myself when I was
trying to build Gambas2 on my 64-bit machine, I recognize that
it is going to be a difficult task.  It will require adding a
whole layer of abstraction to all Gambas datatypes and internal
data structures in order to make a Gambas program compiled on a
32-bit machine run on a 64-bit one and vice versa.  It must have
been tough getting the endian problem sorted and the 64-bit
problem is much bigger.

And it will change the Gambas bytecode format, so it needs to be
done by Benoit unless one of us can come up with a set of
acceptable patches within a few days after a 1.9 series
release ;)

Rob