[Gambas-user] Re: [Gambas-devel] Vector Graphics (needs more versatility!!!)

Christopher Brian Jack brian at ...1334...
Mon Jan 30 00:03:58 CET 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Rob Kudla wrote:

> I feel pretty sure that the SVG support in Qt's drawing control
> is waaaaaaay too slow to do the kind of games you're thinking
> of.  Even just blitting static bitmaps to it, I was unable to
> get a simple (2 sprites plus background) game running above 20
> frames per second in a 640x480 window.
>
> You're gonna need gb.sdl for game programming, I'm afraid.  But I
> think SVG plus Javascript and some kind of SMIL-type audio
> synchronization will end up being a powerful game platform in
> web browsers.

Looks like it's back to XVidix-with-colorkey coupled to an MPEG video
decoder.

If I liked SDL I wouldn't be trying to find a lesser resistance language
than C/C++ with which to be doing my game.  I have not really been all
that impressed with SDL becuase it's lack of functionality and the
resulting dependance on libraries (many which break platform independance)
is counterproductive to the eventual performance obtained.

Also I don't think SDL supports vectorized graphics either.

Brian