[Gambas-user] The Gambas Mascot/IDE

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Jan 25 15:29:10 CET 2006

On Wed January 25 2006 07:56, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
> I wonder if your provider knows they are on a spam blacklist
> or does your provider believe spam to be the best thing that
> happened to the internet (and thus won't deal with the issue)?

Spam blacklists haven't been about actually blocking spam for a
long time; they're about net politics and power now.

One of your customers misconfigures his mail server and leaves it
open for spammers, whether or not it ever actually gets used for
spam, or a bunch of your users get the latest Windows worm of
the week and turn into spam zombies.... they blacklist your
entire netblock and you have to donate to the legal defense fund
of a guy getting sued by a spammer (which they refer to as "a
charity") in order to have it removed.... eventually.  The only
reason it's not extortion is that ISP's who use the blacklists
are doing so voluntarily.

My company used to use blacklists to control spam in combination
with Spamassassin, but there were so many false positives
resulting in rejected good mail that we ended up outsourcing it
to a local guy who maintains his own, more selective blacklists
and does heuristic scanning and other stuff (also in addition to
SA.)  Just having filters set up to block mail automatically for
24 hours when you get spam originating from a particular IP will
block the vast majority of spam that the blacklists would have
caught, while greatly reducing the false positives.

But there are a lot of people running email servers nowadays
whose administration experience consists of "Exchange for
Dummies", and they don't know any better.  Those admins, plus
the ones who care more about not getting spam than about getting
real email through to their users, are who keep the blacklists
in business.

Rob