[Gambas-user] Programming references

johnf jfabiani at ...1109...
Wed Jan 25 00:37:49 CET 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 14:06, Clarke Pelz wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> I'm interested in using Gambas to create some database forms and have had
> some very rudimentary success so far.  (Which I find very encouraging as I
> never made it *that* far with rekall, oo.org or php.)
>
> At one time I could code in basic, though I never really grasped oop.
> While I find gambas' help, tutorials and wiki useful they're not really
> basic enough to get me up to speed.
>
> Are gambas and VB similar enough that an introductory VB textbook would be
> helpful?  I realize I'd need to be aware of their differences.
>
> Thanks.

I'm a newbie to basic too.  I found the VB books to be of little help.
Although, I at first considered them to be helpful.  I did much better
reviewing the examples.  But I have to say that the understanding of how the
object hierarchy works still eludes me.  But everyone on the list has also
been very helpful.  If you can create a form that saves, edits, creates data
then you are beyond the what the VB books can provide.  Understanding OOP
does not come from VB books (VB6 was not OOP).  I suggest that you review
what is available on the web (google OOP).  I'm sure you find several
tutorials on OOP.

Ask questions here.  As a newbie myself I know I'll help.  I find just playing
with the code often teaches and Gambas makes that easy to do.

John