[Gambas-user] Error compiling 1.9.24

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Feb 8 19:24:25 CET 2006

On Wed February 8 2006 02:36, Eilert wrote:
> did a lot of programming with it and still am. This pcre thing
> was new, however, and I thought the configure script was
> smarter now and  it might be possible to compile the new
> version with a little tweaking, that's why I asked.

I looked it up, and indeed, pcre 4.4 is too old to use gb.pcre
(because of a new error code in 4.5 which I exposed as a class
constant.)

If you feel like getting your hands dirty you can find the line
in the source that references PCRE_ERROR_BADUTF8_OFFSET (line
368 of regexp.c) and replace PCRE_ERROR_BADUTF8_OFFSET with some
random number like 65535.  That should at least take care of
your PCRE problems.

The constant will be meaningless in your Gambas install, but
since that version of PCRE will never throw that error anyway it
doesn't matter.

If I understood automake, I'd send a patch to make the configure
script look for pcre 4.5 instead of just pcre so that other
people wouldn't have this problem.

Rob