[Gambas-user] gbx: can not connect to the x server

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Aug 1 11:54:47 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 08:35, Ramon Orticio wrote:
> dear friends,
>
>     i'm using a redhat9 distro with kernel 2.4.20-31.9. i upgraded kde by
> installing kdebase-3.5.3-7.0.rh9.kde.1386.rpm and
> kdelibs-3.5.3-6.0.rh9.kde.i386.rpm. i used the following command to avoid
> dependencies
>     $ rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps to both rpm files together with  its devel
> packages.
>
>     i installed them for they are required in order for gambas 1.0.16 and
> gambas2-1.9.33 to run.
>
>     unfortunately when i rebooted the desktop GUI won't show. only a
> glimpse of the hour glass will show and instantly the console prompt will
> appear instead.

This is a crash of the X server apparently. You must look at the logs: they
are at /var/log/Xorg.0.log on my Mandriva. If you use XFree86 and not Xorg,
then the name of the log file changes accordingly.

Read the log, until you find some sort of fatal error.

If you don't find anything, it could be the login program. Do you use the KDE
one? By forcing the installation, you could have broke your system, because
the KDE packages depends on many other libraries that you didn't install too.

>     i tried to delete some heavy files through the console but this did not
> remedy the situation.
>
>     when i ran gambas in the console, a notice appeared - "gbx: can not
> connect to the x server"

Of course.

>     what must be the problem here. were the dependencies lacking or erased
> due to the forced installation? how can i remedy this problem and bring
> back the GUI or x window system.
>
>     thanks for any help.
>
>   ramon

I think the question too is why using RedHat 9? Can't you upgrade for
something more recent?

--
Benoit Minisini