[Gambas-user] gbx: can not connect to the x server

Leonardo Miliani leonardo at ...1237...
Tue Aug 1 10:28:06 CEST 2006

Ramon Orticio ha scritto:
> dear friends,
>
> i'm using a redhat9 distro with kernel 2.4.20-31.9. i upgraded kde by
> installing kdebase-3.5.3-7.0.rh9.kde.1386.rpm and
> kdelibs-3.5.3-6.0.rh9.kde.i386.rpm.
> i used the following command to avoid dependencies
> $ rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps to both rpm files together with its devel
> packages.
>
> i installed them for they are required in order for gambas 1.0.16 and
> gambas2-1.9.33 to run.
>
> unfortunately when i rebooted the desktop GUI won't show. only a glimpse
> of the hour glass will show and instantly the console prompt will appear
> instead.
>
> i tried to delete some heavy files through the console but this did not
> remedy the situation.
>
> when i ran gambas in the console, a notice appeared - "gbx: can not
> connect to the x server"
>
> what must be the problem here. were the dependencies lacking or erased
> due to the forced installation? how can i remedy this problem and bring
> back the GUI or x window system.
>
> thanks for any help.
>
> ramon

I had a similar problem just a couple of weeks ago, when I upgraded KDE
on my Suse 10.1.
I could not be able to enter in KDE anymore: I didn't understand why...
But I think that there could be a bug in some KDE packages because I
reinstalled Suse and upgraded KDE after a few days with a different
version than the one that collapsed my desktop. So, try to look for a
new release of KDE (the newest is 3.5.4) and try again.

--
Ciao.
Leo

Visita il mio sito personale: www.leonardomiliani.com