[Gambas-user] SDI/MDI

Benoit Minisini benoit.minisini at ...2...
Fri Apr 28 22:29:57 CEST 2006

On Friday 28 April 2006 19:06, Rob Kudla wrote:
> On Fri April 28 2006 12:37, Leonardo Miliani wrote:
> > I would like to say that I apprecite a lot the work that
> > Benoit is doing on Gambas but I also would like to say that I
> > don't like the MDI look that Gambas has in the last versions.
> > I apprecited much more SDI look because Linux programs use a
> > lot this interface: MDI programs remember me Windows-like
> > applications ;-)
>
> Well, an MDI version of the IDE is one of the most frequently
> requested features, and while I'm still surprised Benoit did it
> (I figured I'd have to do a Fakebas 2.0 eventually) I guess it's
> no surprise that some people prefer the GIMP model.
>
> > I would suggest to Benoit to consider the use of a parameter
> > in configure command to let the user the ability to choose how
> > to compile the program, with SDI or MDI interface (i.e.
> > configure --with-sdi/mdi or something similar). Yes, I know
>
> I had hoped to do that with Fakebas and I hope it's also possible
> with the official MDI IDE.  But don't forget that this IDE is
> going to be replaced before 2.0 regardless of what it looks
> like.
>
> Rob

Actually the MDI version was just a quick hack :-) QT Workspace is too badly
designed.

My goal is to make a Gambas component for implementing MDI/SDI easily. I want
it to be able to have toolbars and toolboxes, up, down, left & right, with
optional tabs. Like the GIMP 2.0, but in a MDI way. And a flag that can make
the program works as SDI or as MDI.

This component will be written in Gambas, so that gb.gtk can use it.

As I have gave up my acting studies today, I will have more time to do it :-)
But don't claim victory, I hope I will be able to continue in another place.

Note that this is not an easy job.

In a few words, don't worry too mch about the current IDE. Wait for the next
one! :-)

--
Benoit Minisini