[Gambas-user] GTK component in 1.9.29

ron ronstk at ...239...
Thu Apr 27 19:26:55 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 09:04, Rob Kudla wrote:
> On Thu April 27 2006 01:59, ron wrote:
> > Be carefull Daniel with using the latest state of the art.
> > It is nice to use them for private projects but not for
> > redistributable components. Not every distro has it out of the
> > box.
>
> I think it's totally fair for the development version of a
> project to use cutting-edge libraries.  The idea is that by the
> time the development version becomes the stable version, they
> won't be so cutting-edge anymore.  They'll be "the safe choice"
> and so will Gambas2, at that time.
I have to confess, Daniel noted this too, beside the testing,
but your phrase is more clear to me.
Allow me to be optimistic, I hope when my program is ready
the cutting edge gambas2 is the stable version too :)
In effect I do the same as Daniel does, so I have to slap
myself doing the same :)

> Those who are looking for a stable, predictable, unchanging, easy
> to install experience should be downloading the stable version.
True

> I think that requiring current libraries provides a useful
> barrier of entry to those who probably shouldn't be using an
> unstable pre-alpha release for their production work.
Im afraid many users of gambas2 do not realize it or do not care
because it's a hobby.

> Basically, someone who can't get Gtk 2.8 installed on their
> system may be ill-equipped to deal with a crashing or quickly
> changing Gambas.  It's not a judgment of their character, just
> the way things are.
>
> Truthfully, if it weren't for my own policy of never installing
> software except via package management systems, I probably
> wouldn't even build Mandriva packages of the development
> versions, and as it is, I only publicise them alongside stable
> releases or when something really major happens.  Once Gambas2
> goes beta, we can start worrying about ease of installation and
> popularity again.

> Right now, I think new features and working
> out the bugs that come with them are more important.
Again simple true.

> Rob
Thanks Rob, your light is shinning here.

Greets from Holland,
Ron

PS
Popularity is realy growing, I remeber with goolge getting the fish
pages but now I can't find gambas as fish if I do not ask for fish :):)