[Gambas-user] GTK component in 1.9.29

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Thu Apr 27 09:04:22 CEST 2006

On Thu April 27 2006 01:59, ron wrote:
> Be carefull Daniel with using the latest state of the art.
> It is nice to use them for private projects but not for
> redistributable components. Not every distro has it out of the
> box.

I think it's totally fair for the development version of a
project to use cutting-edge libraries.  The idea is that by the
time the development version becomes the stable version, they
won't be so cutting-edge anymore.  They'll be "the safe choice"
and so will Gambas2, at that time.

Those who are looking for a stable, predictable, unchanging, easy
to install experience should be downloading the stable version.
I think that requiring current libraries provides a useful
barrier of entry to those who probably shouldn't be using an
unstable pre-alpha release for their production work.
Basically, someone who can't get Gtk 2.8 installed on their
system may be ill-equipped to deal with a crashing or quickly
changing Gambas.  It's not a judgment of their character, just
the way things are.

Truthfully, if it weren't for my own policy of never installing
software except via package management systems, I probably
wouldn't even build Mandriva packages of the development
versions, and as it is, I only publicise them alongside stable
releases or when something really major happens.  Once Gambas2
goes beta, we can start worrying about ease of installation and
popularity again.  Right now, I think new features and working
out the bugs that come with them are more important.

Rob