[Gambas-user] gambas will not run

ron ronstk at ...239...
Mon Apr 17 13:11:28 CEST 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 05:21, Eldon Eller wrote:
> I recently upgraded from suse 9.2 to 10.0. Now, neither gambas nor my
> gambas applications will run. I see two possibilities, there may be others.
>
> 1. I occasionally get a alert saying, "Could not find mime type
> application/octet-stream. (not upon trying to open gambas, however). I
> can add a mime type octet-stream, but I do not know what application to
> apply.
>
> 2. Maybe the file that lists the locations to be searched for gambas
> does not have the right location, but I forget the name of that file and
> how to find it.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. EEE

I found just the stinky file on my box again

look in :/home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/application

octet-stream.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Comment=FLash Video
Hidden=false
Icon=
Patterns=*.flv

octet-stream.desktop.goaway
[Desktop Entry]
Hidden=true
MimeType=application/octet-stream
Type=MimeType

/home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/.home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/application
octet-stream.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Hidden=true
MimeType=application/octet-stream
Type=MimeType

If I delete the accociation for the *.flv i wil get the same problem.
/home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/application
/home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/.home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/application
Both should not exist.

The 'octet-stream.desktop.goaway' I made in the past to remmenber this problem.

How did I get the one with Flas Video?
In konqueror i had a file ending in .flv
Use of menubar->edit->edit_file_type
There was no entry for *.flv so i add a extension and add the
'Flash Video' as description for it.
Then add a program to use for it, kmplayer from the applications window.
I do not remember if I typed or selected in the multimedia folder.

This problem with 'octet-stream' has hapend more and is a bug somewhere in KDE.
/home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/.home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/application
is a good sign of it.

Bit stupid to say:
'.home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/application inside'
'/home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/'

I think the '.home' in the path makes it not resolvable and then the
write the whole path at the wrong place to be sure it exist.

BTW
I'm not shure of KDE only because as I found also many where using
SuSE so it can be SuSE/KDE.

Rename the 'octet-stream.desktop' in you home path and ccheck it is gone.
One of your _own_ accociations is gone to, read them with editor and
you know wich.

----
Ron