[Gambas-user] Re: Gambas book

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Sep 17 20:00:46 CEST 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 18:52, John W. Rittinghouse wrote:
> Hello Benoit,
>
> Yesterday, I asked Fabien to forward you the first 11 chapters of the
> book for you to read/use to work on the foreword.  I am going to need
> your draft of the foreword in about 2 weeks.  If you need help with it,
> let me know.  I am working on the Draw material this week.  Still have
> bit operations, database, and event/error management to finish.  The
> goal is to have this in to the publisher by 1 Oct 05.  It should be in
> print by mid November if we can make the deadline.  I did not send the
> file to you directly because it seems your mailbox cannot accept very
> large files - this one was 3.7 Meg.  Feel free to ask or comment on
> anything.  Thanks again for your help.
>

> kind regards,
>
> John Rittinghouse (jr)

Hi, John.

I post this mail to the mailing-list too, as the problem I expose concerns
everyone.

I quickly read your book, and I noticed you have copied many parts of the
online documentation, which may lead to problems.

As nothing is specified, the online documentation is not free (like a beer or
a speech). It is copyrighted by their respective authors, mainly me.

I think we should choose a free (speech) licence for the documentation.

Anyway, you can't copy it freely to write a proprietary book.

Can you see with your editor if the book could be free (speech) ? It would be
just a matter to make a PDF version of the book freely available on the
Internet, and to let us including the book inside the online documentation.

If the book must remain proprietary, you will have to rewrite the copied
parts, but it would be stupid :-(

As for the book contents, I think you should remove the 'GB' abbreviation, and
use 'Gambas' everywhere. It reminds me 'VB' and gives me buttons :-) Did you
plan to write a chapter about internationalization? And a chapter about the
future features of Gambas 2 ?

I will get your answer maybe Tuesday morning, or next week otherwise.

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...