[Gambas-user] Creating excutibles in version 2

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Tue Sep 13 21:29:30 CEST 2005

On Tue September 13 2005 10:40, Scott wrote:
>     It works :) I thought about that before and when I clicked on
> the file in Konqueror it just asked me which program to run it
> from, so I thought it was one of the files created for Gambas.

Yes, Konqueror sees "#!" at the beginning of the file and prompts you
to run it instead of just obeying the "#!".  I don't know why it does
that, but making the interpreter into a library and putting a real
executable stub into the Gambas executables would fix it.

>     This is good, at least I can make some sort of executable to
> give out, thank you very much, but unless I am wrong the Gambas
> program is required as a dependency in the same was Java is
> required for jre files.  I still would like to be able to create
> the packages so there will be less dependencies.

Yeah, there's no way to make completely stand-alone executables in
Gambas yet, and I imagine it'll be some time before it's possible.
When it is possible, the executable will be huge, since it will need
to include the interpreter and all the components the program uses...
basically, the size of a VB program's setup.exe.  I wrote a tiny
program in Tcl and used "freewrap" to make a standalone executable of
it.... it barely fit on a floppy disk, and Tcl is nowhere near as
complex as Gambas.

Rob