[Gambas-user] Return code 245 from SDL

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Nov 20 09:30:48 CET 2005

On Sunday 20 November 2005 02:35, Dominique SIMONART wrote:
> Le Jeudi 17 Novembre 2005 14:10, lordheavy a écrit :
> >
> > .....<snip>
> > Yes ! another frenchie ! :)
> >
> > > Correction:
> > > FOR L = 0 TO 9
> > >   frmJeu.grdElem[L,0].Picture = frmJeu.picImage[71+L].Picture
> > > NEXT
> > >
> > > note: The array contains 89 pictures (24x24 pixels)
> > > Dominique
> >
> > Could you send me your project ? or send me a link to it so i could take
> > a look at.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > jabber : lordheavy at ...943...
> > mail : lordheavy at ...1220...
>
>  Thanks for your reply. Apologies for the delay, but I do not connect each
> days. About your offer, I'm a bit embarassed due the situation is not the
> same now:
> First, as I suspected SDL (Beta in 1.6), I removed all the related code to
> SDL, then I unchecked SDL components from the project properties
>  The crash was always there, but the message is different (Sure enough, no
> more SDL!). Now it is Signal #11. Here is the exact text I noted
>
> "Le programme s'est arreté de manière inattendue en déclenchant le signal
> #11" (I've no idea what that means!)

It means that the interpreter crashed. This is not your fault, it is a bug in
the Gambas interpreter or compiler.

When a program executes illegal code, the Linux kernel send it a "signal" to
warn it about that, just before stopping it.

This signal has the number 11, and there are many others. Type 'man kill' in a
shell to learn more about them.

> Second, I thank my problem coud come from too much graphics (PictureBox,
> Pictures, etc) so I deeply modified the prog. I reduce the Pictures from 89
> to 22, and replaced them by Drawing them (very simple, colored square with
> a colored letter inside). Well, it was not a big success because the
> program crash more quickly, during the first game.

No, this is a success if you can reproduce the crash. This mean that it will
be easier for me to debug and fix it!

Send me your project. If it is too big, just remove all unneeded data files
(sounds, pictures), or replace them by smaller ones. There is very small
probability that these files cause the crash.

> To investigate a bit, I written a little prog to reproduce the drawing
> scenario, but even 20.000 iterations doesn't crash anything
>
> My conclusion is it is not a coding error but a bad conception.
>
> Sure, I could send the project but it is almost 27Meg and I live in a place
> where ADSL is yet a dream for 2 years. So I just have a 56K modem. Plus,
> the Gambas project is in a PC without connection (I've moved it near a
> phone connector to unload Gambas, but now I replaced it in my living room).
> I will see if a reduced version (no title screen, no sound, few
> graphics,...) will cause a crash. If yes I will manage to send it to you
>
> Could you give me the meaning of the message please, I'm a very beginner in
> Linux (I don't even know how to launch the exec I produced in Gambas!)
>
> Thanks for your help
> Dominique

Benoit Minisini