[Gambas-user] Helpfiles

Mikael Ulfenborg mikaelu at ...1188...
Tue Nov 8 18:34:39 CET 2005

Benoit Minisini wrote:

>On Tuesday 08 November 2005 12:09, sakya wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>>

>>>Question 2: I initially wrote my program in Swedish and translated it
>>>to en_US and I got that to work. Now I have
>>>rewritten the code in english and translated it to swedish (sv_SE) and
>>>I cannot get this translation to work. I this a
>>>known problem? Is there any workaround?
>>>

>>I had the same problem.
>>To write an application in english you must start Gambas with the command
>>LANG=en_EN;LANGUAGE=en_EN:en;gambas
>>then write your app in english and then translate it to swedish.
>>
>>HTWH
>>Ciao
>>Sakya
>>

>I didn't understand clearly the problem. Can you please explain it again,
>differently if possible?

Ok. I'll try to explain again.
When I started to learn Gambas I wrote a crossword program for swedish
style crosswords. As it is my native language I wrote it with  swedish
comments, buttons, menus and so on. As the program became rather good I
decided to release it as GPL on sourceforge. Realising that the swedish
population is rather small (worldwise :) I therefore translated it with
Gambas internal translation system to en_US. After fiddling with LANG
and LANGUAGE I got that translation to work. After I thought about it
even more I realised that it was not good to have everything in the
code/gui in swedish so I went through the entire program and changed
everything to english (in the code and gui). After that I used the
gambas translation system to translate it to swedish. It is this last
translation I cannot get to work (with LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8).

A small update however: I've compiled and tried 1.0.12. I couldn't get
the "external language support" to work (it found the header files but
not the library, strange...). I did however manage to run gambas without
it and opened my project, went into the translation system and saved it
there. Since then I've removed 1.0.12 and returned to the 1.0.3 (Ubuntu)
version. The funny thing is that IT WORKS NOW! If I run my program from
within gambas or as a standalone executable it detects my (default) LANG
sv_SE.UTF-8 and presents it in swedish. Even if I'm pleased with that it
doesn't feel good not knowing what has happened...