[Gambas-user] OT: GTK component and Ubuntu development

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez jredrejo at ...96...
Mon May 9 17:25:46 CEST 2005

El lun, 09-05-2005 a las 08:01 -0700, "Thomas Mathiesen"
<thomas at ...947...> escribió:

> I am thinking of building a so-called "Domain Authentication Utility" for
> Ubuntu.
> In-short, this utility will setup a domain server and on clients, it'll add
> the clients to this domain (using openldap + samba + kerberos ..and mail
> etc.).
>
> To be able to release gambas-based applications on Ubuntu, I seriously need
> the gtk component, as Gnome is default on Ubuntu.
>
> Is there a timeline for the release of Gambas 1.9.6 features in a stable
> release?
> (From my point of view, the 1.9.6 is very stable).
>
> I think it'd be a breakthrough, and will maybe lead to gambas runtime becoming
> a standard package in Ubuntu (www.ubuntulinux.com).
>
> Cheers
> /Thomas

As far as I know, gambas is already a standar package in Ubuntu
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/source/gambas, but their packages are
quite obsolete. The stable version of gambas is more updated in Debian
(http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/gambas).
In Linex I have already the 1.9.3 packages that include a gambas-gb-gtk
component quite usable in Debian. (http://www.itais.net/index.php?blog=3
uses them succesfully in some thousands of pc in my region high
schools). Those packages work in Debian sarge, so probably  they will
work in Ubuntu as well. Add
deb http://www.linex.org/sources/linex/debian/ sarge linex
to your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Finally, last week Mark Suttelworth
(http://www.itais.net/index.php?title=i_am_not_going_to_ask_you_to_use_ubuntu&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1) asked me those packages to include them in Ubuntu, so you will have the unstable gambas version there soon. Before that I will prepare debian packages with the last unstable version.

Regards.