[Gambas-user] Problems in translation

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Mar 29 10:35:58 CEST 2005

On Friday 25 March 2005 18:38, ulisse wrote:
> I started a couple of weeks ago developing an application with Gambas and
> the tool is so good that after some days I was in production.
>
> Now... I'm facing the following issue.
>
> I started developing it in italian but made the project translatable.
>
> I added english (both "common" and "en_US"). Anyway I'm not able to start
> it in the US language even setting lang on bash. I succeded only starting
> from the development environment of gambas.

You must set LANG and LANGUAGES, if your system uses the LANGUAGES variable.

> So, probably I don't understand the dinamic.
>
> 1) Is the language inserted in the executable file?

Yes it is. The '.mo' translation file is installed in /tmp when you launch the
program.

> Or have I to make a
> package?
>
> 2) In add, how can I switch during runtime the language?

System.Language = "..." to sets the LANG environment variable AND to switch
the translation file.

But you cannot use a language with Gambas if the localization files (those
used by LC_* variables) are not installed. It is a glibc requirement.

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...