[Gambas-user] Re: Maybe a weird question

Rob Kendrick gambas-users at ...790...
Wed Jun 29 11:34:09 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 14:02 -0700, Joseph Murphy wrote:

>  This problem is really showing a weakness of Linux.  The /usr/bin directory
> is like my junk drawer in my office, everthing gets thrown in there.  Linux
> has 32 character  file names and we have a thousand files in there with two
> or three character filenames.

I think you'll find they can be a great deal longer than that.

> This is lazy.  It's my opinion that the
> search path should be recursive.  That way when I install a program I can
> have /usr/bin in my path but install gambas into /usr/bin/Gambas and not
> have to add that to my PATH.  Maybe I should get my hammer out and pound on
> the bash source for awhile.

I've always thought that gbx should be a shared library, and the files
gambas's compiler produced were executables, just with a small stub of
code that passed a pointer to the data to the gbx shared library.  It's
much cleaner that way for numerous reasons, as you get all the version
handling for free, and you have the option of statically linking.  And
all for not a lot of effort at all.

--
Rob Kendrick
PGP signed or encrypted mail welcome (Key ID: 3651D17A)