[Gambas-user] Maybe a weird question

Daniel Campos danielcampos at ...282...
Tue Jun 28 10:11:22 CEST 2005

The fake problem of the interpreter availability

Often, some people says: Hey, Gambas programs should be compiled, if not,
we need the interpreter installed in the machine! We can not distribute it!

Let me tell you just one thing:

1) can you run any KDE program without all its dependencies installed?
2) Can you do it with a Gnome program?
3) May be just a QT or GTK program?
6) Any graphical program without all X libraries?
4) Can you use Mplayer without a lot of libraries for codecs?
5) Can you install a Apache to serve CGI applications without Perl or
Python (or Gambas)?
6) Can you run any perl, python or bash program without their interpreters?

Where's then the problem? The problem is that Gambas gbx is a program
and not a library? It is
strange.

Currenly almost all programs doing anything interesting have
dependencies, and this is not
a problem as Linux distributions install these dependencies, or you can
download them from
internet.

The only real problem I can see is that Gambas is recent software and
not all the distributions
include that runtime. This is not a problem, for example for
Linex/Ubuntu/Debian users as
they have official packages for Gambas at linex.org. But if the program
were compiled, you'd
have the same problem: you'd need the libgambas.so and all the rest of
libraries installed
(recent version of QT/GTK, may be SDL, may be libxml, may be libcurl and
of course glibc)

And as Rob says, there would be not a big difference in performance, as
the major part of the
work is done internally in the gbx program or in the linked libraries,
written in C or C++.

Regards,

D. Campos