[Gambas-user] free <-> commercial software

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sat Jul 23 18:44:19 CEST 2005

On Saturday 23 July 2005 10:37, Daniel Campos wrote:
> 1) If you use gb.qt <-> pay a commercial license from TrollTech (
> http://www.trolltech.com )

I think that before you pay for a Trolltech license you should ask
Trolltech specifically about Gambas.  gb.qt was developed using the
GPL version of Qt, and according to their FAQ:

http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/faq.html#4-3

"our commercial license agreements only apply to software that was
developed with Qt under the agreement. They do not apply to code that
was developed with the Qt Open Source Edition prior to the
agreement."

It's unknown whether you could legally buy a Qt commercial license and
then release Gambas programs using gb.qt, which was developed with
the Qt Open Source Edition.  For example, I'm unaware of any
proprietary KDE programs, which would require linking against the KDE
libraries which are GPL; proprietary developers tend to either use Qt
with a commercial license, or Gtk.  The people who would take issue
with it are Trolltech, so someone should really ask them whether this
is okay.

I also think this topic has been confused because of the distinction
between "commercial" and "proprietary".  I have developed a couple
dozen Gambas applications commercially.  They are all licensed under
the GPL.  Sure, my clients could pass the source code along to their
competitors.  Why would they do that?

But I think the GPL can work for shrink wrapped software in a store as
well (at least where Windows software is concerned) because many
Windows users have a fear of downloaded software and will only
install something off of a CD that came in a shrink wrapped box.  I
have seen OpenOffice and Firefox for sale this way (by third parties,
like http://www.oooff.com/ though I don't think theirs was what I saw
in stores), and I think when the Windows port is stable and not
Cygwin dependent someday (or even with Cygwin, as long as Cygwin is
totally invisible to the user and there's no X stuff) this would work
quite well.

I grew up with a free copy of BASIC coming with every computer,
meaning almost everyone got to learn how to program using an easy
language if they wanted to, and it's my hope that Gambas can bring
back some of that.

Rob