[Gambas-user] Getting Gambas up to speed.

Michael Isaac m_isaac at ...689...
Tue Jul 5 01:03:35 CEST 2005

It has been my observation that Gambas is rather slow.  I takes gambas
well over 5 minutes to count to a billion using a simple do...while
statement.  On my machine that is.  While other language such as c,
pascal, and java where much faster, between 1 and 4 seconds.  Even
FreeBASIC (freebasic.net) was about 3.5 seconds.  I really need to know
if its possible to address this issue.  I halted development on several
of my projects because they require a large amount of looping and Gambas
doesnt seem to be up to speed.  You may download any of my sources from
my website and test them for yourself.  Another example is the DeepSpace
engine.  I'm trying to get it to handle several (maybe as many as 100 or
more) objects on the screen at any given time.  But as you can see when
you start adding objects (dbl click the screen)  the cycles drop way
down.  Anyway, I have speed issues to say the least.  Any help would be
awesome.

http://www.mathish.com/michael/files/gambas/

Dont shoot back with something like "use C then", the topic is getting
Gambas up to speed.

--
Thank you
Michael