[Gambas-user] UI improvement

Ron Onstenk ronstk at ...239...
Sun Jan 30 19:06:10 CET 2005

On Sunday 30 January 2005 17:52, Laurent Duperval wrote:
| Hi,
|
| When I press Enter after choosing a value from a drop down list for
| completion (for example, in a DIM command, if I type Inte<Enter>) a
| newline is inserted in my code. I find this counter-intuitive and
| doesn't match what other IDEs do. I would expect that pressing Enter
| would complete the word then place the cursor after the end of the
| word.
|
| Can this behaviour be modified?

I agree after using VB many years the way gambas is doing the opening of the
box and acting on key presses I lost my appetize to use it.

VB6 uses the tab key to expand to full word if it is unique
The same behavior as bash is doing.

Also a way to open the dropdown list with the ALT key,
pointed at the first match in the list with the typed characters as find.

Also the ME. object as object if none given can be nice.

Here if no char given a ALT opens a box with the controls and procedures
with the global vars, and maybe the local procedure vars, to choice from.
Else if any characters are given the matching 'names' starting with it.

DIM mystring AS Integer

if I change the name found (integer) or accidently choice the wrong one I have to
delete back till no space after 'AS' and type a space to open.
More friendly would be backspace in the name and press ALT to make a new choice,
ie String, and the word is replaced by the new choice.

The way works like bash, type a few characters and press ALT, select a placed widget,
enter a dot and 'te' + ALT and get textbox1.text as result.
Even the dot can be automatic in appropriate conditions.

May be for the TODO2 list?

Greets Ron