[Gambas-user] Package Wizard - Debian Packages

Dave sharples technoferret at ...598...
Wed Feb 2 14:43:53 CET 2005

I've been thinking,

I have been playing with Gambas for about 6 months being a linux convert
who used to use VB. I have discovered that there is still a problem with
the Package Wizard when it comes to creating .deb files for install on a
Debian based system. This is fustrating me and 'scratching my itch'

I have narrowed the problem down to the fact that the Wizard creates an
RPM and then uses alien to convert it to a .deb file. Whilst this does
create the required .deb file It does introduce a few problems, least of
which is that it doesn't create the control file correctly (e.g. it
doesn't list the dependancies correctly, or at all). This could be down
to the limitations of alien, I'm not sure.
Having examined the code of Package.module I think a better way of
making the .deb would be to use 'dpkg --build', i.e.the debian method.
This would create a genuine debian package rather than a substitute one.

As dpkg will work as a user this would mean that Gambas's would no
longer be dependant on fakeroot (unless its called elsewhere), though it
would make it dependant on dpkg.

What I really want to know is SHOULD I CONTRIBUTE? by having a go at
hacking the Package.module file around so that it creates .deb files the
correct way. I'm not the worlds tidyest programmer, my code can
sometimes be convaluted and theres no guarantee of my success but is it
worth me having a go anyway or should I just explain the process to one
of you 'coding gods' and leave you to it?

Also, if I have a go should I use the source from 1.0.3 or from the
1.9.x branch?.
And can I compile and test 1.9.x from within the 1.0.3 IDE?

Dave