[Gambas-user] gambas report.

Fabien Bodard gambasfr at ...11...
Tue Dec 13 22:02:13 CET 2005

Le Mardi 13 Décembre 2005 14:27, Christian Faure a écrit :
> El Lunes 12 Diciembre 2005 18:36, Fabien Bodard escribió:
> > Yes me Christian :)
>
> Thanks you  Fabien :-)
>
> > It will be wonderfull to merge the both project in one real project...
>
> Ok,
> How?
> any idea?
> Giving a list of features and inconvenients of both projects to select what
> features are necesary and rewriting part of project if necesary?
>
> > In fact i work on is based on Benoit's ideas about reports...
>
> In Benoit aproach, a report is a special form?
> Crystal an others report engines, are based on "sections", based on data
> grouping, in view time, each section are repeated many times with each
> record.
> How implements "sections" on your aproach?
> You have a special control to divide a form in sections?
> or no sections?
yes a special container that repeat a call for data for all the contained
fields
It can contain indefinate it self :

ReportFieldBox
	Field = Client
	ReportFieldBox
		hBox
		hBox LineStyle = 1
		Field = Billnum
		hBox LineStyle = 1
		Field = value

> In my aproach, design time:
> first define the dataset (one or many sql select nested),
> for each dataset, provide a header and sumary "sections"
> for last nested level, provide a detail section
> and add 4 special sections: report header,page header, page foother, report
> foother.
> controls can be placed in any section.
> report is stored as xml file ( Thanks Daniel )
yes :)... thank Daniel

> view time:
> report is loaded from xml file using xslt
> xslt translate xml file to macro-language
> viewer interprets macro-language
> prompt for sql param,
> execute sql's
> create instance of datasections
> create page headers and foothers
> create thumbs, and show

> Observations:
> macro-language: sequence of call to API functions, ex:
> report.create.section(...)
> macro-language is intended for implementation of "wizzard's" and for
> customized styles and/or user defined actions.
> Each action done in designer is translated in macro-language and executed
> So designer can be extended by user.
??? without code ?

> Problems:
> many bugs, sure,
> Designer work only on Gambas 1.
> Source code "strange" (or bad?)
> After design a report, memory free not same at begin.
> After view a report, memory free not same at begin.
> Calculated fields not implemented, workaround: do all computing in database
> using complex sql select, and only work if your database support it.
> User can give incoherent information and can result in crash.
Sometine users must to be intelligent too !
But you need to put error managements
> Very slow... :-(
me too but gambas is slow :)
It's an interpreted language ... The most impressive was when we are trying
opengl exemple with Laurent Carlier... on matrix calculation gambas goes at
1/4 of the c speed :).

But gambas is not c and the goal is not the same :)

> Huge memory usage,
> .. etc.
>
> > But before i need to add some feature on my enginer... like fields and
> > resolve the page calculation problems...
> >
> > regards,
> > Fabien Bodard
>
> You can read spanish?
> I don't write french :-( ,