[Gambas-user] gambas report.

Christian Faure christian.faurebouvard at ...357...
Tue Dec 13 14:27:11 CET 2005

El Lunes 12 Diciembre 2005 18:36, Fabien Bodard escribió:

> Yes me Christian :)
Thanks you  Fabien :-)

> It will be wonderfull to merge the both project in one real project...
Ok,
How?
any idea?
Giving a list of features and inconvenients of both projects to select what
features are necesary and rewriting part of project if necesary?

> In fact i work on is based on Benoit's ideas about reports...
In Benoit aproach, a report is a special form?
Crystal an others report engines, are based on "sections", based on data
grouping, in view time, each section are repeated many times with each
record.
How implements "sections" on your aproach?
You have a special control to divide a form in sections?
or no sections?

In my aproach, design time:
first define the dataset (one or many sql select nested),
for each dataset, provide a header and sumary "sections"
for last nested level, provide a detail section
and add 4 special sections: report header,page header, page foother, report
foother.
controls can be placed in any section.
report is stored as xml file ( Thanks Daniel )

view time:
report is loaded from xml file using xslt
xslt translate xml file to macro-language
viewer interprets macro-language
prompt for sql param,
execute sql's
create instance of datasections
create page headers and foothers
create thumbs, and show

Observations:
macro-language: sequence of call to API functions, ex:
report.create.section(...)
macro-language is intended for implementation of "wizzard's" and for
customized styles and/or user defined actions.
Each action done in designer is translated in macro-language and executed
So designer can be extended by user.

Problems:
many bugs, sure,
Designer work only on Gambas 1.
Source code "strange" (or bad?)
After design a report, memory free not same at begin.
After view a report, memory free not same at begin.
Calculated fields not implemented, workaround: do all computing in database
using complex sql select, and only work if your database support it.
User can give incoherent information and can result in crash.
Very slow... :-(
Huge memory usage,
.. etc.

> But before i need to add some feature on my enginer... like fields and
> resolve the page calculation problems...
>
> regards,
> Fabien Bodard

You can read spanish?
I don't write french :-( ,