[Gambas-user] Are gambas versions downward compatibly?

Daniel Campos danielcampos at ...282...
Sat Aug 13 23:29:21 CEST 2005

Werner Staudacher escribió:

> I started with version 1.0.3 to work and have 3 projects done.
> Now i upgradet to version 1.9.12 (Debian from José L. Redrejo Rodrî­gue).
> Not one from the earlier projects is possible to run anymore. I think,
> i need to upgrade them.
> The question i asks myself is:
> What when a user has two or more apps written with gambas but from
> diffrent versions?
> Is that possible (like with VB 1 to 6) or the user has to ask all the
> programmers to upgrade the apps to the latest version he is using?
> One of my projects i made downloadable from my webpage. When for
> gambas it is not possible to be downward compatible, its better i drop
> it.
> I think that i miss some info about this problem, maybe somebody can
> clear me up.
> Thanks, staudi

Gambas and Gambas2 (currently 1.9.X) can exist in the same machine: you
can install both gambas and
gambas2, run the old programs with the gambas runtime, and write new
programs for Gambas2 (or translate
the old ones). The stable version contains some programs and libraries (
gbx -> the interpreter, gbc -> compiler...) and the new developement
version contains other programas and libraries ( gbx2, gbc2,...), so
there is not any problem when running both the old and the new interpreters.

Regards,

D. Campos