[Gambas-user] Re: Multiple questions from a new user.

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Sep 28 11:09:53 CEST 2004

On Monday 27 September 2004 16:14, Gregg wrote:
> (I sent this to the mailing list first,  I was told to send it to you
> personally on there.)
>

> Ive been using linux for about 10 years now, and oddly enough (since most
> of my linux friends hate vb) I have been a Visual Basic developer for
> about 10 as well.   I love gambas, but I have some questions.
>
> 1) About the compiler.  I know its been mentioned on here before, but has
> anyone actually STARTED writing a native elf compiler?

No.

> 2) Sample projects.  I see a lot of them, say I want to submit a few as I
> write them, where would I send them?  And in the spirit of helping, are
> there any that are actually needed?  I wouldnt want to provide samples
> that are useless to people...

Send me your examples. Ensure that they are correctly written and readable -
they are examples. Some current examples are badly written...

If you find your example useful, I think that some other people will.

> 3) I would like to know if the editor window is ever going to get drop
> downs like vb's for the events interface?

You mean: seeing all possible events in a combo-box ? Not now!

> 4) Will there ever be global variables (without the hack described in the
> VB differences page?)

This is not a hack: global variables are one of the horrible things of VB. So
the answer is never :-)

> 5) Has anyone thought about writing a scanner that would scan vb code for
> all the places that it wouldnt be compatible?  This would make porting
> applications to gambas a lot easier.  Instead of having to edit, compile,
> edit, compile...  (not needed, but would be nice)

This is good idea - Any volunteer ?

> 6) The biggest incompatibility I have seen so far in bringing any of my vb
> code over to gambas has been the array handling.  Is there any chance at
> somehow getting that in the vb compatibility code? (again, not the biggest
> deal but it would cut down on about half of my porting issues.)

What do you mean by array handling ? REDIM, UBOUND, LBOUND... ?

I think than a Gambas program that would scan VB code could easily replace the
VB instructions by Gambas method calls.

> Thats pretty much all I have for now.  Ill probably end up having more
> when I use it for a little while.
>
> Gregg

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...