[Gambas-user] Array question

Paolo Saudin sdnpaolo at ...69...
Mon Oct 11 14:15:17 CEST 2004

ron wrote:

>On Saturday 09 October 2004 11:11, Paolo Saudin wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>I need to use a multidimensional array ( x1[0][0] , x1[0][1] , x1[1][0]
>>, x1[1][1] ...  ) and at a certain time,
>>I want to copy it in a bakup array in order to work with the new one
>>without loose the original data.
>>Here's my problem : when I copy ( x2=x1.copy() ) a single dimension
>>array all it works as expected,
>>but as soon as I use a multidimensional one, the original is treated as
>>a "referenced" copy and get modified as well.
>>Attached there is an example to demonstrate it clearer :-). Is there
>>another way to deep copy two arrays?
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>Paolo
>>

>the array.copy is not an new array with a copy of the content.
>It is the same but with a different name.
>
>arrB = arrA.copy()
>arrB is the same as aarA only the name differs.
>
>The exact name should be .Clone() I think.
>or arrB.Alias( arrA ) or arrB.Link(arrA)
>
>A copy is an new instance of it with the content of the source.

I tried but the only methods available for a Variant[] are _Add  Clear
Copy  Insert  Pop  Push  Remove  Resize  Reverse  Sort
_and so I couldn't manage to really get a copy of the array. In the
Gambas-wiki, the copy() function is said to return a true copy of it,
if I understand it correctly ?. FUNCTION Copy ( ) AS Variant[] Returns a
deep copy of the array.
Paolo

__