[Gambas-user] XML component examples

Ronan Chilvers ronan at ...384...
Sun Nov 14 17:06:14 CET 2004

Hi Ron

Some stuff I noticed about the domain name ....

Firstly the gambas.magic-systems.net record is a CNAME.

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gambas.magic-systems.net. 86400 IN      CNAME   www.magic-systems.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
magic-systems.net.      86389   IN      NS      ns0.directnic.com.
magic-systems.net.      86389   IN      NS      ns1.directnic.com.

CNAME records will always be slow to respond since they require extra
queries to resolve.  I'm finding that ns0 / ns1.directnic.com are
dragging when querying the CNAME records.  This may be enough to timeout
connections (eg: if you run a report for gambas.magic-systems.net at
www.dnsreport.com, it seems to time out more often than not. YMMV).  If
you can I would change this record to a straight A record.

Ron Onstenk wrote:
<snip>
> NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4
</snip>

I think I'd be tempted to change this to

NameVirtualHost *:80

Only becuase I prefer to do it that way... :-)

<snip>

> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
</snip>
Similarly

<VirtualHost *:80>

:-)

<snip>
>     DocumentRoot /srv/httpd/www
>     ServerName www.magic-systems.net
>     UseCanonicalName off
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>
>     DocumentRoot /home/fabien/www
>     ServerName gambas.magic-systems.net
>     UseCanonicalName off
> </VirtualHost>
</snip>

I always set up my DNS as A records and then set up the VirtualHost
directives as above.  You shouldn't then need the UseCanonicalName
directive.

<snip>
> V2.x says the 1.2.3.4 should be unique IP or names.
> V1.3 says they must be the same as NameVirtualHost if IP
> The first match entry counts.
> V2.x sound to me more correct as I can't reach gambas and get
> always www. as responce.
</snip>

For NameVirtualHosts you just need to make sure that the identifier is
unique.  I use the *:80 to allow apache to sort out the IP (and it makes
the config more portable).

<snip>
> But then why can others or the proxy do it correct?
</snip>

I think that the reason you can't reach the gambas site (I can btw) is
to do with the CNAME records.  What browser are you using?

<snip>
> I have his httpd.conf studied but see no real faulty things.
> A few as i.e. it is started by inetd and not as stand alone.
</snip>

????  Apache started by inetd ?  Why?

Anyway....

<snip>
> The server returns www.magic-systems.net as name for all services
> instead magic-systems.net
> My server in Germany returns the domainname.de:http only, without www.
</snip>
I think that your resolvers are stripping the domain name back because
of the CNAME.

# dig +short -x $( dig +short gambas.magic-systems.net )
www.magic-systems.net.

You want it to resolve back to gambas. not www. so you're going to need
an A record I reckon.  Certainly it won't hurt !! ;-)

Hope this essay makes some sort of sense!!!!

Cheers

Ronan